My Photo
Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Paying Fancy Prices to Pretend that I Have A Fancy Life

2005/06/18

A Man Slaved in the Bar: Same-sex Marriage

My classmates asked me out last night. We went into a bar, where, coincidentally, another colleague was throwing a bachelor party for his friend. They locked a chain to the guy's leg. Yeah, after next week, he would be totally enslaved. I joked with him "Wise man don't get married. Once they get married, they become otherwise." I think his tongue must have been intoxicated and became thicker, coz' I couldn't really understand what he was talking to me.

I remember my friend told me before I came to North America the difference between American and Canadian. He said "when people disagree, American would take out their guns and shoot you to death while Canadian would talk you to death." I am not sure of the American part, but Canadian, especially drunk Canadian, really can talk. I was a little hang-over today but I can still remember we covered democracy, capitalism, nation-state, movie and etc.

When we were discussing Canadian politicans, my colleague initiated the topic of gay marriage, which was a very popular topic in Canada since December. He said his friend was going to have a gay marriage next week and he was his best man. I am fine with same sex marriage but there're some issues we need to work on before it's legalized. The underlying principle of gay marriage is that everyone has the right to get married, no matter of one's gender and sexuality. But according to the same belief, marriage should not be constrained at certain age or two people. A 10-year-old kid also has the right to get married. And monogamy couldn't speak for itself in front of this belief as well. Again, I think juvenile marriage and polygamy are fine. The problem is if the society is ready for them?

I was glad to see that another classmate shared with me the same idea that the whole marriage thing was bull-shit. Why do people need a certificate to justify their "love"? Why do people want to use a marriage to 'slave' the person they love? I know I am doing non-sense talk again. So please, hit me baby one more time.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pat Sajak said...

Perhaps polygamy is a grey area, but juvenile marriage is not. We've had this discussion in person I believe. However, I'll state my reasons again.

10 year old kids haven't got the financial resources to support themselves in marriage. Nor does the average 10-year old even know what he or she wants to do when they grow up. How could they be expected to know who their 'soulmate' will be? Further, from what I understand, 10 year old bodies are not mature enough for sex.

As it is, there is enough trouble trying to avoid teenage pregnancy. Why legalize this? Can a 12-, 13-, 14-year old girl really take care of a baby and still continue in school? I don't think so. I believe that such young marriages would be enslavement of another kind. No way, man!

6/18/2005 5:26 PM  
Blogger Pat Sajak said...

Will... not trying to be nasty, but I don't think you're fully understanding the commitment required of a marriage. Kids shouldn't be expected to make life-long commitments at age 10. Maybe I'm still a bit old-fashioned, but I think premature marriages are destined to fail. What about a 12-year old couple... they get married, and at 13 have their first baby. The boy decides he can't handle a screaming kid, and leaves her a divorcee at 13, with a baby in tow. Not fair.

Hey, the baby's grandparents might not have even stopped having kids!

6/18/2005 5:32 PM  
Blogger Wéi said...

Financial resources? You mean poor people don't have the right to get married?

Of course, there would be issues coming up. But the basic idea of same-sex marriage is that everyone has the right to get married no matter if they are straight or gay, young or old, poor or rich, two people or a group, right?

And I don't really agree that marriage is a 'life-long' commitment. It would make more sense if there were a law enforcing people to stay married. But no, now people can always get divorced.

6/18/2005 5:40 PM  
Blogger Pat Sajak said...

Hmmm... we have fundamental differences of opinion on marriage then.

Marriage IS meant to be a lifelong commitment and if you go into it thinking of an exit route, then you shouldn't be getting married. It's more than just a short-term emotional contract.

Having just been the Best Man in a wedding, I saw very closeup, how the minister firmly makes the couple promise that this union is for 'as long as you both shall live.'

And no, I'm not saying that poor people shouldn't get married - that's not my argument at all. It's that kids are not qualified for good jobs that can pay for the necessities of raising a family. Kids are expensive!! Even a minimum wage job is hardly enough for one person to live on. A full time minimum wage salary is $13,700 in Ontario. That's "peanuts" as we say here in Canada.

Ok... that's enough from me on this subject. I'm getting angry (in a good hot debate kind of way.) :)

6/18/2005 6:15 PM  
Blogger Sven said...

the basic idea of same-sex marriage is that everyone has the right to get married no matter if they are straight or gay, young or old, poor or rich, two people or a group, right? - nope, it's just marriage between two people of the same sex, in addition to the already exisiting marriage of opposit sexes. How do you make same-sex into all those other categories?

There is a reason that kids are under the supervision of adults until they come of age. One of those reasons is to protect the child from undue sexual preasure. You open up for marriage between kids and grown ups, and I don't think you really mean to.

6/19/2005 10:02 AM  
Blogger Wéi said...

I am flooded.

6/20/2005 11:23 PM  
Blogger officialloversguide said...

Hey....you have a wonderful reason for divorce
blog here. I also have a reason for divorce
site full of useful information. Please stop by when you get time.

Thank you

10/23/2005 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poem on classmate

2/17/2007 3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home